"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." - Pablo Picasso

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

That's a Wrap!

Ok, so I've had two pieces accepted for the Creole Gallery's "Vagina Show". Yay! Now all I have to do is drop them off and go on my merry way, right?

Wrong.
There's a lot of schtuff left to be done before, during and after show time.

When showing my work, I usually don't frame it. At best, I feel the frame should be the personal choice of the final owner. At worst, the frame can be a distraction, unless it's an integral part of the piece. At worstest worst, someone might purchase the piece for the frame and through the artwork out! (Don't laugh; I've done this myself!) So, instead of framing, I will paint the edges of the canvas a matching or complimentaery color. Simple, looks good, and doesn't distract. Because I do it this way, I also have to "wire" the canvas so it will hang on the gallery wall.

Lastly, I varnish the piece so it is protected from dirt, dust, and grime. You don't want to varnish until the paint is totally cured and, since all the pieces I submitted for "The Vagina Show" were created for the show, I've had to wait to varnish them.Also, you don't want to varnish until you are all done taking photos because the varnish can glare and cause issues with the photos.

Lastly, I need to write an artist bio and an artist statement. Yikes!  As you can tell from the "About Me" at the side of this blog, I don't usually offer to much information about myself. I don't know of many artists who are real comfortable with writing about themselves.  We all talk about ourselves and art like magpies but put it down on paper?  Ugh! Despite the fact that it's for our art and our art business, we are loath to do it.

But  it's time to buck up and do it!. I want to do everything I can to help the Creole Gallery "Vagina Show" be a rousing success. For ART! For THE CREOLE GALLERY!  For VAGINAS!

No comments:

Post a Comment