"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." - Pablo Picasso

Sunday, September 16, 2012

After the Opening...The Waiting Begins...

It's an odd feeling after the opening of a show.

Before the show you're busy getting things prepared, writing bios and statements, inviting people to the event, and getting psyched for the opening reception.The opening itself is exciting; you meet the other artists, you check out their work, you chat and laugh, you steal glances at patrons viewing your own work and wonder what they're thinking.  It's fun, busy, and a great time!

Then the opening is over.

It kind of feels like the circus has left town. You are, once again, on your own and you begin to wonder.  So what did people think of my work? Was it really  understood? Was it well received? Did anyone really like it? Maybe even enough to --oh my!-- BUY it?!

When I'm in my studio creating, I have no one to please but myself. All I am concerned with are the shapes, colors, rhythms, and seeing the piece evolve into what it will be. I may ask my wife or sons for their opinion, but that just helps me bring the work to life. I revel in the moment and the feel of "slopping paint". A true Zen process, the only thing that matters is what I am doing at that precise moment. Pure joy.

However, once the piece is complete and signed and brought forth into the world, it becomes something entirely different. It's no longer "just mine". Now it belongs to anyone who looks at it and puts their individual "filter" on it. Now their eyes, their thoughts, their opinions shape what it is. And I don't really know what that would be. An art critic may give you one opinion, holding your child up in the harsh light and comparing it to what they have come to know and believe as "art". A friend may, or may not, give an honest opinion.  Fellow artists can fall into either camp!  You just don't know.

So, you wait.  You wait for some sort of response.  Whether it's, "Gee, this is crap." or "Holy shit!  I LOVE this and I'm gonna buy it", or any where in between, you just have to go on with your life. Go on with your art and maybe, someday, someone will respond.

Or maybe not. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment